There is nothing as striking as a fiery, natural red-head. Emma Stone (above), Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Bryce Dallas Howard, Connie Britton, Darby Stanchfield, and Isla Fisher are just a few of Hollywood’s most beautiful flame-throwers. However, for many of us, “natural” turned into “enhanced” by the time we reached 22. Celebrity colorist, Heather Cie, has tended the locks Hollywood A-Listers Jennifer Lopez, Drew Barrymore, and Emma Stone (above), to Emily Blunt, Charlize Theron, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, during her tenure at Mèche Salon in Beverly Hills. Now co-owner of Cie Sparks Salon in Malibu, Cie is helping some of its most beautiful beach beauties add in some ginger hues for the summer. Warning the do-it-at-homers, though, “Red is a commitment. The first thing I would tell people is to make sure that they know that red is the hardest color to keep in the hair, and the hardest to get out. If you want to go red then you need to really think about it first, and be ready for the upkeep!” Here are some of Cie’s additional tips:
- If you are going with a strawberry blonde/red hue you could always go darker so that it fades into the perfect color. But otherwise, red in general unfortunately does fade fairly easier than other colors.
- Golden, natural copper tones mimic more natural redheads than the violet tones which look more fake.
- If you want it to look more natural, then definitely have your colorist dye your eyebrows a reddish tone to match your head.
- To maintain a beautiful color, whether it is red, blonde, brunette, etc., people definitely have to use a color safe shampoo and conditioner. I highly recommend ORIBE products, and Fabuloso by Evo works wonders for color toning conditioners. I also custom make my clients a toning shampoo and conditioner to help them maintain their new color, so definitely ask your colorist if they can do the same for you.
- If you can, don’t wash your hair as much as you may be used to. Using cold water is a must in helping to maintain the hues, and of course using the correct products to take care of your hair will help as well!